Hey there, Rebelscum
fans! This week we’re nestling in our Tauntaun blankets as we explore the icy planet of Hoth. Make sure to check out our “Expand Your Mind
” article first to learn about how the sequence was conceived of by the production team, but also check out our other articles from earlier in the week if you need to get caught up.
Hoth is among the cornerstone locations of the original Star Wars
trilogy, and a far cry from the hazardous sands of Tatooine. It was one of the most ambitious locations to shoot amidst the production of The Empire Strikes Back
, and in the years since Star Wars
creators have returned to the snowy planet for many additional stories and adventures.
Here are some “Force Facts” about Hoth.
- Ralph McQuarrie originally designed a snowy planet to use as Darth Vader’s ice palace for the upcoming Star Wars sequel. While the idea was abandoned, many of the designs worked their way into Hoth’s locations.
- The AT-AT concept that Lucas had envisioned was inspired by another sci-fi classic. He took inspiration from the giant mechanical Martian vessels of War of the Worlds.
- The interior set sequences were shot during the same time in which Stanley Kubrick was shooting The Shining. A fire on the set of The Shining derailed production temporarily and resulted in the film taking over some of the studio space intended for The Empire Strikes Back.
- Temperatures were so cold that Kershner and crew would rush back and forth between takes to a nearby hotel to warm up.
- Although Des Webb was originally cast as the Wampa, ILM later began developing puppets to more accurately display creature movements.
- Greenscreens and bluescreens can’t compete with actual artwork. Many of the background visuals of Hoth were created using matte paintings.
- A large hunk of glass fell into the bacta tank moments before Mark Hamill stepped in to begin filming, and would’ve killed him had he entered moments earlier.
- One of the most popular locations in Star Wars: The Old Republic, Hoth was featured in Shadow of Revan, Knights of the Fallen Empire, Knights of the Eternal Throne, and Onslaught.
- Although it never showed up in The Clone Wars, Hoth did take animated form in LEGO mini-adventures The Quest for R2-D2 and The Padawan Menace.
- Hoth was the site of some of Aurra Sing’s adventures in The Bounty Hunters.
What do you think, Rebelscum
fans? Did you learn anything about Hoth? What is some of your favorite Hoth-centric trivia? Let us know in the forums
, and as always, may the Force be with you!