Hey there, Rebelscum
readers! This week in our coverage of the Star Wars
Expanded Universe, we’re looking at the highly influential Star Wars
Dark Horse comic book series Republic
. Stay tuned for more Republic
coverage throughout the week. With our “Character Profile” we’ll highlight the history of one of our favorite characters, and with our “Force Casting” we’ll look at how the stories could be adapted as a potential television or film project. Make sure to keep up to date with our’s breakdown videos to learn about the coolest Republic
merchandise and learn additional information.
Today in our “Timeline Breakdown” segment we’ll look at how Republic
inspired other stories set during the release of the Star Wars
prequel trilogy. Dark Horse had already launched a new era of Star Wars
comics, but during the 2000s they ambitiously ran the concurrent series Republic, Empire, Legacy
, and Knights of the Old Republic
. The four storylines even crossed over at one point with the ambitious Vector
storyline that tied four generations together.
All were popular, but Lucasfilm was keen to explore the other events occurring during the events of the prequels as they were released. Several tie-in storylines to the core Republic
series were produced throughout the series run.A Guide To Republic and Dark Times Tie-In Storylines
- Jedi Council: Acts of War (2000) - This four-part series followed Mace Windu, Yoda, Plo Koon, Saesee Tinn, and Even Piell as the mysterious alien race Yinchorri threatens galactic safety. The Jedi Council are shocked to learn that Yinchorri are immune to force powers, and the Jedi Masters are terrified that their rise could spark the first war in a thousand generations.
- Heart of Fire (2001) - This mini issue ran as a Dark Horse Extra in conjunction with the ongoing storyline “The Hunt For Aurra Sing,” in which Quinlan Vos verges closer to the dark side as he pursues the force-sensitive bounty hunter. The limited Heart of Fire series gave Quinlan an intimate moment with the padawan Xiaan Amersu, whose master was killed by Sing.
- Star Wars: Jedi (2003-2004) - The popular Jedi heroes of Attack of the Clones took place concurrently with the ongoing Clone Wars storylines. Mace Windu, Shaak Ti, Aayla Secura, and Yoda, as well as Count Dooku took center stage. It was an interesting contrast to the core series, which tended to focus more heavily on Anakin and Obi-Wan.
- Star Wars: Obsession (2004-2005) - Obi-Wan’s obsession with finding Ventress, who challenges him emotionally and even romantically, results in a desperate manhunt in which he recruits Anakin to help him. Durge and Dooku both show up to threaten them. Anakin becomes suspicious of Obi-Wan’s intentions; Obi-Wan grows increasingly wary of Anakin’s connection to Padme.
- Star Wars: Purge (2005) - This thrilling one-shot set up the direction that Dark Times would take, with Vader stalking Jedi survivors of Order 66 as he searches for a connection that will lead him to Obi-Wan. Vader single-handedly takes out a conclave of fity Jedi.
What do you think, Rebelscum
fans? Which of these storylines was your favorite? Are there any you’re keen to catch up on? Let us know in the forums
, and as always, may the Force be with you!