In 1999, the entire world eagerly anticipated the release of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. Adapted by Henry Gilroy, Roldolfo Damaggio, and Al Williamson, this 4-issue limited series included new covers by Hugh Fleming. There were also alternate photo covers created, featuring the main characters from the film. A collected edition was published before the individual issues, with a new cover by Ravenwood. A hardcover edition followed later that year.
|EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE|
Several bonus comics were also created, featuring the main characters in all-new tales designed to run parallel to the film, all featuring a new cover by Timothy Bradstreet, as well as an alternate photo cover:
- Anakin Skywalker by Tim Truman, Steve Crespo, and George Freeman takes place before Anakin was introduced on-screen, and introduces readers to Mos Espa.
- Queen Amidala by Mark Schultz, Galen Showman, and P. Craig Russell takes place just before the podrace sequence, and reveals an untold tale with Padm? and Jar Jar Binks.
- Qui-Gon Jinn by Ryder Windham, Robert Teranishi, and Chris Chuckry takes place after the podrace sequence, and shows a devious side to Watto and reveals how Anakin was able to leave the planet and how Sebulba acquired his new podracer.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi by Henry Gilroy, Martin Egeland, and Howard M. Shum retells the story from the film from Obi-Wan's perspective along with a few new scenes.
- a special #1/2 issue was available through Wizard: The Guide to Comics #94, this exclusive comic featured 4 short stories by the same creative teams from the one-shots, starring the four main characters. The only significant segment was from the Anakin Skywalker pages, which spotlighted several of the other podracers.
|EPISODE I ADVENTURES|
|Gold Logo Editions|
|Prism Logo Editions|
|Special & Collected Editions|
Speaking of the podracers, in 2000 StarWars.com posted a series of exclusive online comics titled Podracing Tales by Ryder Windham and Ken Steacy. Spotlighting podracers Sebulba, Ark "Bumpy" Roose, Gasgano, Mawhonic, Clegg Holdfast, Boles Roor, Elan Mak, Aldar Beedo, Wan Sandage, Dud Bolt, Teemto Pagales, Mars Guo, Ben Quadinaros, and Ebe Endocott in their own twisted plots before and after the race, this series was later continued in the podrace scenes in Emissaries to Malastare over in the monthly Star Wars title.
There was also a special animated online preview of the official adaptation available exclusively at StarWars.com.
In 1998, a Japanese Manga version was produced by Kia Asamiya.
Finally, in 2001, Wizards of the Coast released a special sneak preview comic book that took place during the events of The Phantom Menace that was a special preview of their Invasion of Theed roleplaying game. This three-page story by Michael Stackpole and Daniel Veesenmeyer introduces the Rorworr the Wookiee scout, scoundrels Deel and Arani, and Jedi Padawan Sia-Lan as they team up to protect the planet Naboo from the Trade Federation. The adventure continues when players play the game.
|BATTLE FOR THEED Free Sneak Preview by Wizards of the Coast|